Summer of Stir
On December 6th, 2017, we will be launching our second “Summer of Stir”. Thanks to the awesome support of the Canberra Community Bank Group, we have 3 $500 crowd-voted grants up for grabs during this season.
To be eligible for one of these grants, you must fulfil four simple criteria:
- You must be based in Canberra, Australia;
- You already have or are in the process of starting a project in the Arts, Crafts, Design, Humanities and/or Sciences;
- You and/or your team have the skills to execute the project; and
- You haven’t already received a Stir grant*.
If these three things apply to you, then you are ready to get started on your Summer of Stir project!
*If your project is already on Stir from another season, send us an email and we’ll add your project to the Summer of Stir.
Interested? Here is how you can get involved:
- Sign up to our platform and use the project creation process to publish your project on our site.
- Voting will go live on January 6th, 2018. This gives you a month to receive feedback and refine your project.
- Between the January 6th and February 23rd, 2018 at 11:59pm, share and promote your project to friends, family, members of your community, people on the street and everyone who will listen and get them to vote for you through your project page.
- Voters can support any number of projects as long as they provide a valid email. They will then have to click on a confirmation link which they will receive in their inbox for their votes to count.
- On Monday, February 26th at 9:00am we will announce the recipients through this blog and our social media.
- If you are a grant recipient, provide us with an invoice for $500 and an account for us to deposit*. We will ask you to nominate a date for you to acquit the grant. This step is an important part of the process. We will help you with this is needed
- Celebrate!!! We will then interview you for our Stir blog, and invite you to take part in other programs to support your project and see it grow.
Last year we saw close to thirty awesome projects uploaded to the platform, from the areas of graphic design, comics, pop culture and video games by school kids. This year we’d love to see a wider range of even cooler projects. Jump in and show us what you’re capable of!!
If you’re thinking of taking part, here are some quick pro-tips from the Stir Crew:
- You can publish at any time until voting ends but sooner is better. This way you can refine the project before voting begins and make a great first impression when asking for support.
- Don’t just ask for votes. Ask for comments, too. You’d be surprised at how much better your projects can get if you ask for people thoughts on how to improve it. They may even become a collaborator or a teammate!
- Use your own images. Downloading a picture from the internet and using it as your own can really devalue your project, and also infringe on other people’s copyright. Use images that you have taken and best represent how cool your project is, be it photos, drawings, diagrams or other creative ways of communicating visually.
- If you get stuck while creating the project, you can stop and save before publishing. Share what you’ve written with your friends and communities to see if they can help you clear things up. You can also get in touch with the Stir Crew and we’ll be more than happy to help you out!
- Come to the CBR Innovation Network on Level 5, 1 Moore Street, Civic. The Stir Crew is often there, as are many other people who can help you iron out the details of your project to make it super awesome.
If you don’t have a project, but would like to be involved, there are several ways you can be part of the Summer of Stir. All you need to do is sign up with a valid email to get started.:
- If you know a person with an arts, crafts, design, humanities or science background that is working on something that could use a bit of support, let them know about the Summer of Stir. We’d love to see their projects on the site!
- Check the projects being uploaded from the 6th of December. You can comment on these projects, helping them improve before voting begins. Any advice you can provide will be invaluable for all aspiring creative entrepreneurs.
- From the 6th of January 2018, you can start voting for the projects you would like to see receive a grant. Make sure that the email you used is a valid email, as you will have to confirm your votes on the email you receive for them to count.
- Finally, you can share the projects you like to social media or through other channels. Every vote you attract will improve the chances for that project to receive a grant!
We’re looking forward to making this Summer of Stir bigger than the last. With your help and enthusiasm, it will be!
If you have any doubts about our platform and process, please read our Terms and Conditions.
If you would like more information or would like to promote the Summer of Stir to your community, get in touch via email@example.com
The Summer of Stir 2018 is made possible thanks to the awesome support of the Canberra Community Bank Group, and the always amazing Dean Goulder and Neale Guthrie (We love you guys!). If you are part of an organisation that would like to sponsor our mission to get more creatives in entrepreneurship, send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org